Thursday 15 March 2018

Lode Mill, Anglesey Abbey

Lode Mill, watercolour
Another iconic building, which is part of the National Trust property Anglesey Abbey. The link will tell you more about its history. 

I do like white buildings, as they provide a backdrop for colourful shadows, and this mill contrasts beautifully with the dark trees leading up to it. 

There were more shadows on the left side of the building, which I at first painted in and immediately regretted doing so. As the red (alizarin crimson) used in the mixture is a staining colour, I could not remove it completely. To bring back the white colour, I therefore painted over it with white gouache, something I am usually reluctant to do.  I felt it was worth it not being a 'purist' in this case, as I felt the painting was worth rescuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment