Saturday 31 March 2018

Fourth Plinth, Trafalgar Square

Trafalgar Square, watercolour
This is the latest  in a  small series of watercolours of London in the rain, which is based on a visit back in February. This link tells you more about the sculpture which was installed on the Fourth Plinth at the time. I was quite taken aback, when I saw it!

Just recently, a new artwork has taken its place, one with a more political and humanitarian message. 

This watercolour is painted on an A3 block of Saunders Waterford paper. I am quite pleased with the transparent grey I achieved for the clouds, using Teal (Ken Bromley) and Permanent Alizarin Crimson (Winsor & Newton). 

The reference photo had a very close tonal range between background and foreground, so I planned to keep the background lighter in tone for the foreground to stand out.


No comments:

Post a Comment