Sunday 24 February 2019

Still life of grapes on a plate


I am quite happy with this still life. I kept the background simple with dark and light tones and painted the grapes and plate in a fairly realistic way.

I used just five colours for this painting, two blues (cobalt and ultramarine), one red (Turner Quinacridone Magenta, a reasonably priced red similar to Alizarin Crimson), one yellow (raw sienna) and one green (phthalocyanine green). Except for the Turner, all paints are made by Jacksons. They are good quality artist grade watercolours and come in large 21ml tubes.

Not getting the ellipsis of the plate right makes it look unrealistic. I think I managed it and added a shadow underneath to make it 'sit' on a surface. I painted first the tones and then the pattern of the plate and they have blended together quite  well.

No comments:

Post a Comment