Thursday 2 August 2018

Painting the backdrop to a model railway layout










My husband is in the process of building a new z gauge model railway layout of an imaginary small town in Switzerland.

The background is painted in acrylic paint on mountboard. I first looked online for advice on how to paint backdrops, as I had done this only once before some years back, and soon realised that we did most of the process the opposite way to the advice given, namely:

- one should create the background first (we made the layout first)
- backgrounds that go around the corner are not advised (ours has three sides)
- perspective views should be avoided (I joined one road on the layout to the background)

Despite all this, I am quite pleased with the result, and it took me just three days to create (one for planning and two for the actual painting).


No comments:

Post a Comment